Monday, July 14, 2014

Running in CNY/Foothills of the Adirondacks

I know I have not posted in awhile. I have been writing, but after I write my posts I reread them to make sure they reflect what I am trying to portray. If they don't and sound like a whinny runner who is tying to force a blog, i don't post them. Let be honest, no one wants to read that crap.

Anyways I have been slowly working up a list of things that people who run in this area could relate to, that are comical while also being borderline annoying. Its just for fun so here it goes.

Potholes.
I know what your thinking, they are everywhere. But in the past couple months I have notice that our potholes in this area could be useful training for agility. Seriously, I spend more time jumping over or moving sideways than I do running forward. I wish running apps had a more accurate reflection of a runner trajectory when running,  I bet it adds a solid .5mi to my runs.

Weather. 
This is mostly for this past spring/early summer. There is something freaky happening up in the clouds. One minute its blue skies and the sun on my face, then next I'm sprinting home because I just got a severe tornado warning on my phone and being blasted with hail! And I'm 2mi from home. Go home weather, your drunk!

Winter shoes vs. Summer Shoes.
Does anyone else do this? I find that my shoes I bought in the winter are too tight during the summer, and vis versa. Can feet expand? this is a issue for me, i may be the only one on this one. Hmmm...maybe the 10 lb. I gained the past year went all to my feet...wishful thinking. Also, I know you are not supposed to buy your running shoes because of color, but when given the option, does everyone buy the shoes that make their legs look tanner!?!

Lack of GPS/ Service for Running Apps.
If you do not know me, I live where there is little cell service. This makes it difficult to use such apps like, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio ( pshhhttt they are just a bunch a data suckers anyway, right?), But my lack of...civilization really puts a damper on tracking with running apps, which i love using because they are great motivation ( nothing is better than Lance, or some other athlete speaking sweet congrats in your ear when you run a fast mile...thanks Nike!). This has been my biggest issue this year. I used to be a Nike run app lover, but since I changed to my LG G2 the GPS on it was a little off. So then I tried RunKeeper, lets just say the GPS was ok, but it said my first mile was 3hrs 8min 40sec long. I know I'm not the fastest runner out there, but I could have crabbed walked faster than that. That app had the right distance but the time was...a bit...off. Then I tried to MapMyRun and it did the same crap RunKeeper did. Endomondo was cool, but while I was running it would switch me to another sport, and I couldn't switch it back. For example, it said I played 1.6mi of Badminton. I am now using Strava, which as of right now has been great. Time will tell...

Shoulder-less roads.
This is a positive and a negative. Not having a shoulder makes it nerve wracking when a logging trucks, tractor trailors, or texting high school students drive by. I have had a couple close calls where I have had to jump in the woods, or on the ditch because someone likes to be a little selfish with the road. They are lines people not bumpers. And if you hit me, it will be like hitting a moose. you have been warned -_-. On a positive note, roads with no shoulder are often the prettiest roads to run on. So I'm willing to take the risk.

Horse Poop.
Between poop and potholes I feel like I'm training for Football.

Deer, Turkeys, and Peasants, OH MY!
Nothing scares the crap out of me more. Its not because I'm scared of them. By why do they have to wait until Im 10 feet away to freakout? They stand stock still so i can't see them, then when I'm just close enough they freak out! Going to give me a bloody heart attack!

Mosquitoes & and Black Flies.
I have my fastest times when these little buggers are out.  If i go to slow they eat me alive. Then i have to start running while waving my hands ( onlookers probably think I'm listening to the YMCA). They definitely give you motivation to run faster.

Boilermaker.
Everyone who runs feels like they need to be part of this event. And we will defend our beloved Boilermaker from non boilermaker runners/ lovers. If anyone says it awful ( even tho we are thinking it through the entire race and about 10 min after) we disagree state that its the best race everrrrr!

Manure season. 
Farmers of my area have perfected this recipe making it the best produce growing, gag inducing, running reducing formula. The smell can make 1 mile of road seem like 100 miles. Touché farmers, you win this round every time.

Hope you enjoyed. Now i really need to do tackle Laundry Mt. (its getting out of hand)

No comments:

Post a Comment