Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Zumba, Yoga, PiYo, and P.D.F


I wouldn't consider myself a person who is a "hardcore" fitness junky, but more of a well-rounded fun fitness fan (see what i did there-alliteration at its best!). I am a runner and love it, but there are times where you need to spice things up! Make your workouts more exciting and above all, more challenging. Wasn't' it Albert Einstein who defined insanity as "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".

So in the past I have tried Zumba, where I thought it was a blast, but it just didn't have the right fitness level for me.  I have tried Yoga or as they called it "yoga smoga" and i failed at it. Now many of you might say " you can't fail at yoga, you just have to work up to it and listen to your body". Trust me, I listened to my body and it said " WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!". My body is pretty resilient and I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but during my session of yoga, my body hit a level of pain that I have never felt before (and i have hand 1st & 2nd degree burns, blown out my knee and still ran on it-- at the same time!). I honestly think the only thing that could be at the same level of pain I felt would be child labor, at least in child labor you get a baby out of it, all you get with yoga a sweaty yoga mat and maybe piece of mind of the rest of the day (I might add that after yoga i was not at all calm or felt serene- I was frustrated, sore, and grumpy). Clearly my body is not into yoga and i do not plan on forcing it to do it ever again. It has spoken.

PiYo was my next class I tried. and i have to say, I love it!. its a mix of Yoga, Pilates, Cardio, Plyometrics, and Free weight training. It the perfect class for me! Its an intense workout where you do mulituple workouts during high energy songs. Some may say the PiYo class I attend isn't real PiYo and honestly I dont care. It could be called " Super Girl class" and I still would go. People are too focused on labels at times and dont appreciate the important thing, which is the experience. All i know is that i love this class, I have been going for months, and it is packed every time I go!

As far and expanding my running I have registered for different "themed" races. The Color Run was great, I attended the one in NYC. I would definitely do that again in a different area ( im a country girl and cities just dont do it for me). I also did many local races and did my 10th Boilermaker this last year! This year is lucky number 11! ( my favorite number!- and my friends from college are running it with me- woohooo!). I recently signed Robbie and I up for the Mighty Run, which is a adventure 5K where you have to work in partners to complete obstacles. Of course there is fire and mud involved. I cant wait!

Tonight however, I will be trying out a new fitness class...call Pole Dance Fitness. I am a little wary of it because all I can think about is the idea of pole dancing. But I have been told this class is an intense workout and have been assured that everyone keeps their cloths on and it just there to work out!  I will let everyone know how it goes. Wish me luck and no judging!

Update**  I went to the class and it was good. The fitness was a little lacking in my taste to be considered a workout, but it was a lot of fun learning the different moves. Even thought it wasn't a workout for me I do think I would enjoy going to a couple classes on a raining day!**

No comments:

Post a Comment